Thursday, September 17, 2009

Is the Earth Flat?

Hello everyone, and welcome to Science Follies! Here we will discuss different topics in science and misconceptions that go with them. I love clearing up common mistakes about everyday things and ideas. In this blog, I will explain the truth behind the most common misconceptions. Trust me, you'll feel smarter when You're done reading.

My first story will reference an incident that happened to me just today. I was doing a lesson on how we know that Earth is round. Most kids are like, "we have pictures from space!" Obviously, this is the easiest way to prove it. A student of mine, however, asked me if the Earth is flat. You thought I would be flipping out right? How can someone not know the Earth is round!

Well, as shocked as you might think I was when I heard that a student in the year 2009 thought the Earth was flat, I really wasn't that affected by the comment. To tell you the truth, I was almost prepared for a question like that. Every year I teach about the Earth being round I get someone asking me about the flat Earth theory. Well, let me tell you, it never gets easier to explain over the years.

Now there is more than one way to show the Earth is round. So I told the student, "know what a lunar eclipse is?" She tells me of course. Of course! Why wouldn't she know what a lunar eclipse is? I tell her that shape going in front of the moon is round. She agrees. Case closed. Teaching 2,500 year old knowledge never gets old!

No comments:

Post a Comment